Friday, May 18, 2012

Kris Kuksi – Neo-Baroque Post-Postmodern Sculptor and Artist

The only evil you will see here is the historic evil of man and his creations.


Taking lessons from Pieter Bruegel the Elder and the overall Baroque and Rococco Eras, yet following his own path, Kris Kuksi’s new spin on “less is more” into “more is more” setting the Old World on it’s collective ear.  His iconic post-apocalypse look at modern times is set through the lens of the past using classical and western pop culture figures in a symbolist style that makes the monumental works of Gustave Moreau look austere.

I saw a few of his works several years back on the web and was highly impressed, but at the time the web just didn’t have a large selection of his art available.  The other day, while I was doing research on the kris (kreis), the wavy bladed daggers of Indonesia and Malaysia, his works began showing up in a Google images search because of name similarity.  Well, I found that there were a lot of Kris Kuksi images and the kris research got shelved while I enjoyed the decadent art sculpture of this genius.

I spent quite a while perusing his works and enjoying the infinite detail of the vignettes, so filled with baroque whimsy and grotesqueries lurking within his symbolist work.  His sculptures work on many levels – macro and micro.  Each scene correlates to another scene, which is a substratum of the overall thesis with absolutely no hint of hip irony that mars and so often passes as authentic critique.  The viewer is challenged to decide if humanity can change and learn from its mistakes or doomed forever to folly.


The utter richness of enunciation and depth of correlative symbolism in space and time references, leaves me speechless on the cunningness, artistry and the just plain artisanship of the works of this allegorical polyglot.  Interesting enough, I sense a hint of gentleness and naivete in all the grandeur, that keeps the works human.  Yes, this sounds rather gushy and it is.  I could get cliche too and say it is post postmodernism expressionism, but I'll leave that to the academics.


For me, I have an immediate visceral connection when I see his art.  You need not know western history, art history or have any kind of art background to enjoy his evocative works, but it helps.  I like to think of each figure or grouping like a haiku, grouped together in a book, like Matsuo Basho's works -- each poem standing alone, but forming a whole structure. 



I suggest to those interested to go to his website to see more images of his works and also consider his book, Divination and Delusion, ISBN:  978-0-9803231-3-9, which has 140 color pages of decadent enjoyment.  I had to work pretty hard to narrow down the images I wanted to use in this blog entry since space is limited. You really need to see more of his stuff.
                 CoastConFan

For more images, a bio, and other information I recommend his website: http://kuksi.com/

Another website that features many of his works: http://funguerilla.com/kris-kuksi/




  Ill on a journey; 
        My dreams wander
             Over a withered moor.
                                                 Basho





--------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:  24 May, 2012 -- I just found this YouTube video about Kris Kuksi.called Jushua Liner Gallery present Kris Kuksi's Imminent Utopia from 2008:

2 comments:

  1. The most valuable thing for me, in your excellent article, is the image of the artist with one of his creations. I had no idea how big the sculptures were. Part of the appeal of these pieces is the sense of recognition; we know the parts taken separately, we've just never seen them like this before. It opens up doors for us, about what we can do and what we can make. Thank you and yes, it's difficult to make a selection from his work. I like your choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever.. ever felt like this.. When strange things happen, are you coming round the twist

      Delete