Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Wishing You A Happy New Year 2013 - 2014


This is New Year’s Eve if you follow the Gregorian calendar or even the Julian calendar.  Nonetheless, New Years is a way of sloughing off the old and welcoming the new with a sense of renewal and expectation.  Below are some obverted New Years that are not based on the Gregorian/Julian calendar.  I’d like to wish each and every person out there a Happy New Year, even if this is not the date you observe New Year.  I’m sure I have missed more than a few different calendars, but to everybody Happy New Year.

Since this is a SF & F blog, I thought some New Years greetings from about 100 years ago showing new inventions with some science fantasy elements.  This is appropriate since the first Times Square New Year’s Eve celebration began in 1904 and the first ball drop was in 1907.  These are real greetings cards showing the optimism from the beginning of the 20th century, in the days before the end of the Modernist Era.  I’d like to think we are wiser for the years and expect brighter days ahead.  My interest in history and cultures also compels me to add some other new years, which you will see below.

                                                                          CoastConFan


For the more esoteric minded person interested in New Years:
Punjabi/Sikh Vaisakhi 

No comments:

Post a Comment